Small Claims Matter

Proceeding in the Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court is a division of the Superior Court of Justice and overlooks matters relating to disputes for the return of money, personal property, or damages, valued at or below $25,000.00.

The paralegals at Howard C. Cohen & Associates will assist you in determining the critical elements of your lawsuit, including, but not limited to:

  • Identifying who your perspective defendant/s is;
  • Where you should commence your lawsuit;
  • And assess your claim for proper evidence.

In Small Claims Court, you may sue an "individual" or a "business/corporation" that may have caused you undue hardship. Claims in Small Claims Court may include, for example:

  • Unpaid accounts for goods or services rendered;
  • Unpaid rent regarding commercial or residential tenancies;
  • Unpaid loans;
  • Personal injury;
  • Damages caused by breach of contract;
  • Contractor negligence; and,
  • Property damage due to inappropriate repairs.

At Howard C. Cohen & Associates we are able to assist you with any type of Small Claims matter that you may have, whether it be for liquidated or unliquidated damages. Our experienced paralegals may advocate on your behalf and assist you with navigating the Court process.